We entered in the bar area where the smells of last nights sweat and spilled beer still lingered. I kept moving until I found an area that wasn't so "stale" smelling. This was not a good sign. Bill and I had the $2.95 special....a egg and two pieces of toast. I can't recall what Larry and Gail had, maybe an omelet. Breakfast covered the bases but no home run.
Back in the car we turned the GPS on and looked for Old Fort Niagara that was north of the park. That's when we saw that the American Falls were only 4.8 miles away. So we agreed it was forget the Old Fort, hello Niagara again.
We ended up at New York State Park Niagara on
We started talking to a couple and they told us about the $2 trolley that looped up to the Rainbow Bridge and back again to the Island. Cool...and since it was hotter than Hades we bought what was the second best deal of the day.
We rode all the way down to the Rainbow Bridge and hopped off at the American Observation Tower which was the first best deal of the day. For $1 you could walk out onto the observation deck and then down to the Falls, seeing them up close.
This is a view of Rainbow Bridge from the American side.
And the Observation Deck/Tower
The American Falls and Horseshoe Falls behind as viewed from the Observation Deck.
Rainbow Bridge from the Observation Deck
Horseshoe Falls
American Falls up close.
American side Maid of the Mist straight below the Observation Deck
Horseshoe Falls in background with two Maids of the Mist coming and going.
This is taken from the trail from the base of the Observation Tower/Deck. You can see the Falls curl at the top. This is a lot of water.
Can you believe there was a day when there was no water going over.
We hopped back on the trolley and headed back to Goat Island and to see the American Falls from the south side.
It was so hot and humid sweat was dripping off everyone. It was the first time in my life I've gotten water in my ears from my own sweat. It must be time for something refreshing. Yep, ice cream always helps.
Bill looks like he'd be willing to taste mine....better grab it fast.
I barely was able to keep ahead of my ice cream melting and dripping on me. Finished it off in just the nick of time. Couldn't stand sitting in the sun so I headed off for the views while Gail, Larry and Bill finished their treats.
The ferris wheel located on the Canadian side as viewed from the American side.
The view of the Falls from the American side was amazing. The Canadian side was majestic with it's full frontal view across the entire field. But the American side was nearly hands on.
This was so close I could almost touch it with my hand. The Rainbow Bridge in the far background.
You can see the Maid of the Mist far below, heading up river to the Horseshoe Falls.
Can you see the rainbow off the Falls. A zillion rocks and boulders below. You sure don't want to go over at the American Falls. This view is straight down.
I took this picture from Luna Island which is between Bridal Falls in the picture and behind me is the American Falls.
More rainbows over the American Falls.
Looking straight down the Bridal Falls is an attraction called the Cave of the Winds. These people are getting drenched from the Falls, no thanks. And another rainbow.
And can you believe just over the edge of this seemingly calm stream of water is the Bridal Falls. It seems so peaceful....until the edge.
This was such an unplanned day. It was wonderful and now I believe I've really seen a lot of Niagara Falls. I may not need to come back but some day I'd like to. We were so lucky to have a sunny day. We've now seen it overcast and in bright sunshine. An amazing place.
Thanks for visiting. See you soon.


No comments:
Post a Comment