Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Mount Rushmore

After a yummy pork stew dinner we headed to Mount Rushmore Memorial for the evening lighting show.  The park is only 11 miles from Rushmore Shadows.  It was hard to believe we were actually standing there looking up at Mount Rushmore that had only been read about and seen through pictures for over 60 years.  Here we were, sharing this amazing and historical site, live and in person.  Amazing.  I thought I was probably one of the last person in the USA to finally get here.  From the text pic I sent our during the ceremony I now know I'm not. If you haven't been here yet, find a way to make it happen.



We enjoyed a 20 minute movie about the four presidents, George Washington, Father of our Country, Thomas Jefferson 3rd President, Abraham Lincoln, 16th President, and Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President.  These four are credited with creating the separation from England, thus creating a new nation.  The writing of our constitution establishing bylaws of our new nation.  Uniting our nation when we fought North and South and the freeing of slaves. Finally the great conservationist who established over 230 million acres of protected land and moving our nation into a modern political world of today.



It was a beautiful evening honoring the memories of four great presidents, former and current military service men and women and all under a perfect clear sky with perfect weather.  What a patriotic honor to be part of this evening.

The Sculptor

Bill, Susan and Larry, What a Night.

Helps explain why Rapid City is voted Most Patriotic City in the US

No comments: