So here we sit in Pennsylvania the next August and I'm facing the hard place with a rock at my back.
My birthday was Monday, the 18th. I took Bill to the airport for his flight to Seattle the following day, Tuesday. On Wednesday all my unattractive options were presented to me and on Wednesday afternoon I booked my own flight to Seattle. But I was coming right back. I did not want to be in Seattle. A long way to go just to get your picture taken.
Thursday morning Larry and Gail took me to Baltimore Int'l Airport for a 6 a.m. flight. We were on the road by 3:30 a.m. With just the clothes on my back and after a long flight I arrived in Seattle via Philadelphia at 10:20 a.m. Pacific Time.

I jumped on the Light Rail at SeaTac and for $1.50 for a Day Pass headed to downtown.

I got off at University Street and walked two blocks to the DOL on Spring St. and Second.
By noon I had my hot little temporary license in my hot little hand. I was done. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. Now I had to kill 10 hours before my return flight to Baltimore.That shouldn't be too difficult. Pike's Market is just a few blocks away. So off I went.
I wasn't in an artsy frame of mind so I passed on the art museum. I wanted to walk and stretch my legs after almost 8 hours on a plane.
Paris is on my "bucket list" so I love anything depicting the Eiffel Tower. I have now arrived at Pike's Market and it's packed with tourist.
I kept missing the fish tossing so I ended up just taking a picture of the market.
Now I was hungry. I grabbed a salad buffet and sat overlooking Seattle Harbor. I was tempted to go ride the ferris wheel but didn't. Next time but what a beautiful day in Seattle.
I weaved and dodged my way around the market until I got bored with it and moved outside to the street.
I was amazed at the prices they charge for everything in Seattle. These flowers were almost $30. Really?
Back on the Light Rail and off at Pioneer Square. The Light Rail is underground from the International District/Chinatown into Westgate. Forget using your phone.
Outside the station I saw these two mounted police officers. They let me take their picture and warned me to "be careful" in this area. I guess a lone old lady walking the streets of Pioneer Square neighborhood raised their alarm. It raised mine too.
To my left I noticed a number of bright red umbrellas in the open air and headed that way looking for an outdoor cafe to have some tea and watch the multitudes and denizens of Seattle stroll by. As I walked into the square I noticed young men sitting about in small groups. Hmmm...not real encouraging. Some boisterous laughter further away diverted my attention to my walking and that's when I damn near stepped on the head of some woman sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag wrapped around a trash can. Okay, I'm out of here. I hightailed it down towards a large group of people on a walking tour, walked through them and around the corner. Whew. What a place. I took a table in a cafe just across from the Pioneer Pergola and enjoyed an iced tea and plenty of entertainers trying to save the world as they walked by shouting to their imaginary audience.
Just on the other side of the Pergola was the entrance to the Seattle Underground. Since I only had my smartphone for pictures and the battery was running low I opted to not take the $25 tour. Next time. By now my feet were starting to hurt, it was almost 4 p.m. and I figured the airport was as good as downtown to wait for my flight.
Back I went on the Light Rail, got my seat assignment, had a light dinner, walked for 4 hours in the shops, bought nothing and was so glad to get on the plane. I could barely keep my legs moving. I was worn out.
I got a last photo of Seattle on takeoff and the next thing I knew I was waking up as the plane braked in Philadelphia.
Had a 3 hour flight delay due to a mechanical problem on the puddle jumper in Philadelphia to Baltimore but finally arrived around noon instead of 9 a.m.
I wasn't concerned about myself but I felt bad for Larry and Gail waiting for my arrival. Thank you both again. I couldn't have done it without your help.
They say Pennsylvania's are the worst drivers in the United States. I can buy into that but they are the most carefree too. It's still sprinkling on our drive home and here's a guy with his convertible top down just loving the drive.
And that's what life is about. Doing something new and when given an opportunity, at least doing it once. Which is what I'd recommend for what I just finished doing. But only once, thank you all the same.















2 comments:
You're getting to be a "professional" blogger...
What a great story....We are so glad we could spend time with Bill while he was in WA...Nice talking with you on the phone...Looking forward to seeing you in the spring !!
I sure hope we'll see you two. We're enjoying Pennsylvania so much. Bill will fly to London from JFK now, during the next week or so. Then we can focus on getting his knee working again.
Post a Comment